July 2005
BACKSTAGE CHATTER:
Little did Elton John know that he got to sing with Bryn Terfel and
me!! As we sat backstage at the Houston Grand Opera 50th Anniversary
Gala, during "Rocket Man," Bryn leaned over to me and sang harmony
with Elton, to which I joined in; then he said, "OK, now we can both
say we've sung onstage with Elton John!" It was so special to sing the
Rosenkavalier trio with Joyce DiDonato (amazingly her first time in
Strauss) and Renee Fleming (by now a known world-wide for her
Marschallin), and my "Caro nome" got a roar of approval and standing
ovation from a loyal Houston public. Music Director and longtime
friend Patrick Summers was conducting, of course!
After all that excitement, I was overjoyed to work with one of my all-
time heros: Pierre Boulez! And in Stravinsky, no less! The man does
not give out compliments lightly, but after the last performance, he
said to me, "That was beautiful, simply beautiful! Truly singing of
the first rank!!" I was blown away. As he walked away, for once I was
speechless and a little teary-eyed.
San Francisco has been a dream of a collaboration with such an
insightful musician as MTT, and I am sorry to see it end. We are now
dreaming up future projects back in my first home-away-from-home. I'm
hoping to do some more Krenek. Keep your fingers crossed. My next
scheduled San Francisco appearance is next year in the San Francisco
Chamber Music Series.
Tullio is doing fine, and enjoying visiting with my friends' cat where
we are staying. He's spending lots of time holding down the armchair.
No other big news to tell... except that even ELTON travels with his
dog (a little cocker spaniel) who was ready offstage for a quick
cuddle before the legend himself went onstage. I'm in good company!
Labels: blog

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home